Pages

4.30.2010

Spring Top Week Entry #5!!

It's the moment you've been waiting for!! My final entry for Spring Top Week!! I used a pattern for this one. The main fabric is calico from Hobby Lobby and the trim is some quilting fabric from Wal-mart. I worked really hard on this. I successfully altered a pattern!


On the front pattern piece, I took away the space that was added in for the gathers in the center. And I subtracted the seam allowance from the back pieces so that I could use one piece of fabric instead of two, thus eliminating the back seam and button. The reason I removed the ruffles is because I wanted to add a placket, using Rae's very easy to follow placket tutorial! Oh, I totally used my new serger on this project too! I used the 4 thread mock safety stitch on the seams and the hem.

Here's my fancy new top!!


Some close-up shots of the fancy placket, closed and open:


I love girly gathered sleeves:


Look at that serged edge!! Fancy!!


And finally, here are some pics of me wearing my new top!! I'm all ready for spring!!


And here's my square crop for the Spring Top Week Flickr pool:

Posted by Picasa

I am so happy that I completed 5 tops in time! This was an awesome experience. Thank you Rae for the challenge!!
Thanks for looking!!!!
~Christina

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your placket! I wanted to do one on a dress for my daughter but it kept turning out funky. Care to share how you did yours so perfectly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm pretty proud of it. I just followed the instructions in Made by Rae's tutorial. I put a link in the post but if that doesn't work, go to http://www.made-by-rae.com/ and her tutorials are listed on the left.

    I just took my time, made sure everything was perfectly creased with my iron and perfectly pinned. when I stitched the bottom part, I must have re-pinned it several times because the little triangular piece kept peaking out (you'll see which triangular piece I mean in the tutorial). I hope this helps!! And good luck!!

    ReplyDelete