It's the moment you've been waiting for!! My final entry for Spring Top Week!! I used a pattern for this one. The main fabric is calico from Hobby Lobby and the trim is some quilting fabric from Wal-mart. I worked really hard on this. I successfully altered a pattern!
On the front pattern piece, I took away the space that was added in for the gathers in the center. And I subtracted the seam allowance from the back pieces so that I could use one piece of fabric instead of two, thus eliminating the back seam and button. The reason I removed the ruffles is because I wanted to add a placket, using Rae's very easy to follow placket tutorial! Oh, I totally used my new serger on this project too! I used the 4 thread mock safety stitch on the seams and the hem.
Here's my fancy new top!!
Some close-up shots of the fancy placket, closed and open:
And here's my square crop for the Spring Top Week Flickr pool: